Clearances are processed on Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the Human Resources Office.
The East Penn School District is pleased you are considering volunteering your time to assist the staff and students of the district.
Volunteer – A volunteer is an adult serving in an unpaid position in which they are individually responsible for the welfare of a child or have “direct contact with children” (care, supervision, guidance or control of children, or routine interaction with children).
For those that wish to be a Volunteer, you are required to submit a Pennsylvania Criminal History Record (Act 34) and a Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151) in addition to the notarized Volunteer Affidavit to the Human Resources Office located at 800 Pine Street in Emmaus. Copies of the Affidavit are available in the Human Resources Office. It is the individual’s responsibility to pay for the required clearances. Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), updated clearances will be required every 3 years in order to continue as a Volunteer. Clearances must be less than one year old at the time of submission. Original forms must be brought to the District Human Resources Office, located at 800 Pine Street in Emmaus, on either Tuesdays or Thursdays from 8:00AM – 4:00PM. The district has notary services (drivers license required for notary service) free of charge.
1. The Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check can be done either online or by mail. The online results are available almost immediately, while if you choose to mail the form, it could take up to 8 weeks for the results to be returned to you.
- To complete the process online, go to https://epatch.state.pa.us and click on “Submit a New Record Check” and follow the instructions. Please select “Volunteer” as the Reason for Request. A credit card is required for the processing fee of $10.00. At the end of the process, you will need to print the certification form and bring it to the Human Resources Office so a copy can be made for your records.
- If you choose the mail-in process, click Criminal Background Check Form and print out the form. You must submit the completed form with a money order for $10.00 payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the results will be mailed to your home. You are responsible for bringing the clearance to the Human Resources office so that a copy can be made for your records.
2. The Child Abuse History Clearance can be completed either online or by mail.
- As of Dec. 31, 2014, requests for clearance statements (now called “certifications”) may be made online at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS at a cost of $10. The first thing you will do is to create a sign-on. You will be asked for your Keystone ID #, this is a number that you will create for yourself.
- The mail in form must be completed and mailed with a money order for $10.00 made payable to the Department of Public Welfare. Click here to download the Child Abuse History Clearance. Check the box marked “Volunteers” as the reason for the request. Do not send cash or a personal check. This clearance takes approximately 5 – 10 weeks and the results are mailed to your home.
You are responsible for bringing the clearance to the Human Resources office so that a copy can be made for our records.
If you have not been a resident of the state of Pennsylvania for the last consecutive 10 years, you will be required to complete the FBI Federal Criminal History Report to be a Volunteer per Act 153 (above).
3. The FBI Federal Criminal History Record requires individuals to have fingerprints done digitally at a registered fingerprinting site. You must first register for the process. This can be done either online at www.pa.cogentid.com and selecting the Pennsylvania Department of Education button or by phone at 1(888) 439-2486 (M-F, 8A-6P) prior to going to the fingerprinting site. There is a $28.75 fee for this clearance. There is an optional $2.50 charge to receive an unofficial copy mailed to your home. Payment may be made online at the time of registration using a debit or credit card. Payment may also be made with a Money Order or Cashier’s Check at the fingerprint location. Money Orders and Cashier’s Checks must be made out to COGENT SYSTEMS. NO CASH, PERSONAL CHECKS and NO ELECTRONIC PAYMENTS for background checks will be accepted at the fingerprint sites. Once you have registered, proceed to an approved fingerprinting site to be digitally fingerprinted. A list of approved locations is available on the Cogent website. You will receive a Registration Number. This number must be provided to the Human Resources office so your results can be retrieved.
If you have any questions related to the clearances or cannot come in on a Tuesday/Thursday, please contact the Human Resources Office at (610) 966-8331.